Position Title: Research Scientist in Electrophysiology at Sania Therapeutics (application reference SRX-RS1)
Location: Waterfront Building, Hammersmith, London, W6 9RH
Contract: Full time, Permanent
Start Date: ASAP
Sania Therapeutics (‘Sania’) is an innovative new biotechnology company aiming to revolutionise the treatment of neurological diseases with precision neuromodulation of neural circuits. With an initial focus on hyperexcitability disorders, Sania is developing technology platforms that can precisely deliver novel chemogenetic proteins to dysfunctional neurons via engineered adeno-associated viral (AAV) vectors. These platforms deliver:
- Targeted gene delivery via AAV capsid modification
- Selective gene expression through engineered promotors, and;
- Precise modulation of neuronal activity via expression of synthetic ion channels.
Sania is initially focused on developing treatments for neuromuscular and neuromotor diseases with the plan to expand into further indications in the near future.
Sania is located in a new purpose-build laboratory in Hammersmith, London, UK.
Our team is made up of up of academic and industry experts in medicine, neuroscience, electrophysiology and virus engineering and we are looking to expand our talent.
Sania is an equal opportunities employer – we are enriched by our diversity and are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive and equitable environment for all. We are a values-led enterprise, and our talented employees are our cornerstone. Sania is built on their collective dedication, passion, and enthusiasm.
We strive to create an environment where our team feel empowered to be their best selves, and where they enjoy working and building both the therapies and our company with us. We offer internal and external developmental opportunities to support their growth. Our employees also receive a competitive salary, private health insurance, dental and optical care, subsidised gym membership, and the opportunity to participate in our share option scheme.
Suitable candidates from outside the United Kingdom will be considered for visa sponsorship at Sania’s expense.
Informal enquiries about the position can be sent to [email protected]. Please reference the position number SRX-RS1 in the subject line.
The successful candidate will become part of a close-knit team who are using a combination of synthetic biology, molecular biology, and electrophysiology for the development of new therapeutics. The new hire will be specifically responsible for performing a range of electrophysiological experiments to support ongoing projects. The successful candidate will also be involved in experimental design and will be expected to contribute to team meetings where they will receive feedback from other members of the Sania team.
To be considered, candidates must have a passion for making a difference in the lives of patients. The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate experience and competence in some or all the duties described below:
- Designing and performing voltage/current clamp experiments
- Maintaining patch clamp rig and associated equipment
- Troubleshooting issues with a range of equipment
- Culturing mammalian cells for use in electrophysiology experiments
- Setting up high throughput screening methods such as microelectrode arrays (MEAs), optical imaging or other methods
- Wet lab techniques such as immunohistochemistry and western blots
- Performing literature reviews to identify additional transgenes for screening in electrophysiological assays
- Excellent communication skills
- Exceptional team working skills and ability to with diverse personalities and skill sets
- Ability to maintain clear written records such as electronic laboratory notebooks
Qualifications and desirable skills
Qualifications and desirable skills and experience include:
- PhD, Master’s degree in neuroscience, physiology, pharmacology, engineering or a related subject; or industrial or other work experience
- Experience in drug development or in an industry setting
- In vivo electrophysiology in disease/injury models
How to apply
Reach out if you are curious, committed and collaborative, are interested in developing the next generation of therapies for precision neuromodulation, and believe you would be a good fit for this role.
Please send your cover letter and your CV to [email protected]. The cover letter should tell us what excites you about this role and specify how your experience suits the points listed above. Please include the reference number SRX-RS1 in the subject line of your email.
Please note, candidates who do not include a cover letter with their CV will not be considered.
This application closes at midnight 28th February 2023.