Take a look at our Neurowire blog for #LabHacks guides to help you with a variety of neuroscience techniques.
Location: Reno, NV
Start date: Available immediately
We are seeking a highly motivated and creative postdoctoral researcher with significant experience in cellular and molecular neuroscience techniques and/or electrophysiology in the laboratory of Dr. Robert Renden, in the Department of Physiology and Cell Biology. The postdoctoral fellow will have the opportunity to investigate mechanisms underlying age-related changes in synaptic short-term plasticity in mice, using whole cell patch-clamp electrophysiology, immunohistochemistry, and fluorescence imaging, with the cochlear nucleus and MNTB (calyx of Held) as synaptic models. We are looking to fill this NIH-funded position immediately.
The major responsibilities of this position include:
- Cooperate in the design of an experimental program to evaluate age-related changes in synaptic function at auditory brainstem synapses in mouse: the calyx of Held and cochlear synapses.
- Independently contribute to timely experimental execution, data collection, and rigorous data analysis of the research program.
- Report experimental findings in written publications, incorporating own findings with the existing published literature.
- Collaborate to develop mechanistic and molecular models describing cellular/molecular mechanisms that are degraded during normal ageing and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Recent PhD degree in cellular/molecular biology, synaptic neuroscience, or relevant field.
- Experience in patch-clamp recording, brain slice electrophysiology, and/or fluorescence imaging (confocal immunofluorescence, live imaging) techniques.
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Strong organizational skills, goal-oriented motivation towards back science research.
- An ability to work independently in a collaborative environment.
- Candidate with existing first author publications in peer-reviewed journals in the field of cellular or molecular neuroscience is highly desirable.
- Candidate with research experience in synaptic physiology or auditory function is preferred.
Reno, Nevada is a progressive, growing, and dynamic community. UNR is located less than 30 minutes away from beautiful Lake Tahoe, where world-class skiing, trekking, and mountain biking in the Sierra Nevada mountains are easily accessible. We were recently highlighted as one of the 12 Best Places to Live in 2019 by Outside magazine: https://www.outsideonline.com/2398647/outside-best-towns-2019#close.