Closing date: 15th July 2020
Institute: Biomedical Research Institute (BIOMED), Hasselt University
Location: Hasselt, Belgium
The Biomedical Research Institute of Hasselt University seeks a PhD student neurophysiology psychiatric disorders.
Within the stimulating environment of the Biomedical Research Institute (BIOMED), we offer a PhD position to study the neurophysiology of psychiatric disorders. http://www.uhasselt.be/biomed.
As a researcher of the Brône-Rigo neurophysiology Lab, you will be trained to study neurophysiological processes at the level of proteins, cells, the brain and behaviour.
- You will study the glycine receptor alpha2 that is essential in the developing and the adult brain. Disruption of the receptor function is linked to autism.
- You will focus on the subcellular localization of the glycine receptor alpha2 and on the importance of this localization on its function in neuronal networks in the brain, mainly the reward system.
- You will operate state of the art imaging and electrophysiological equipment which are available in the institute.
- You will use optogenetic techniques to study the receptors function in animal models for psychiatric and/or neurodegenerative disorders.
- You will take up a limited teaching duty in the bachelor or master programs of the Faculty of Medicine and Life Sciences. http://www.uhasselt.be/GLW
- You operate in our international team and will get the opportunity for international collaborations.
- Master in biomedical (life) sciences, medicine, biology, biochemistry, bio engineering (or equivalent).
- Experience with cell biology techniques, fluorescence imaging and/or patch clamp techniques (e.g. during master thesis) is a merit.
- A clear interest in neurobiology which can be shown based on internships
- Problem solving capacity and stress resilience when encountering issues in the lab
- A certificate of Laboratory Animal Sciences is an asset
- Good knowledge of English
How to Apply
To apply, send your CV and motivation letter to Prof. dr. Bert BRONE ([email protected] , +32-11-269237) before 15 July 2020.
The selection procedure consists of a preselection based on application file and an interview. You will be appointed and paid as PhD student, 2x2 years (with evaluation after 2 years)